Banana Custard Flan
8 oz (225g) plain flour
5 oz (150g) margarine
1 egg, beaten
1 oz (25g) caster sugar
3 egg whites
6 oz (170g) caster sugar
1 oz (25g) margarine
1 oz (25g) flour
1 pt (600ml) milk
2 oz (50g) brown sugar
3 egg yolks
2 bananas, sliced
1. Rub margarine into flour, add egg and sugar and knead gently.
2. Roll out pastry and use to line a flan tin.
3. Bake blind in a pre-heated oven 180°C/350°F/Gas 4 until cooked, but not coloured.
4. Melt margarine in pan, stir in flour, add milk and stir until thickened.
5. Add brown sugar, bananas and egg yolks and mix together.
6. Pour mixture into flan case and return to oven for a further 15 minutes.
7. Beat egg whites until stiff, add sugar and spread meringue over custard.
8. Return to oven and cook until golden brown.