Pre-heat oven to: 170°C/325°F/Gas 3
Time in oven: 1 hour 10 minutes
3 oz/75g glacé cherries
2 oz/50g blanched almonds
4 oz/110g dried apricots
4 oz/110g sultanas
grated rind of 1 orange
4 oz/110g muscovado sugar
6 oz/175g S.R. flour
pinch of salt
4 oz/110g margarine, melted
2 eggs, beaten
1. Place cherries in colander and pour boiling water over to get rid of their sugary coating. Dry with kitchen paper and chop. Reserve 1 tblsp chopped cherries for decoration.
2. Roughly chop apricots and almonds. Reserve 1-2 apricots for decoration.
3. Combine all dry ingredients in large mixing bowl.
4. Add margarine and eggs. When thoroughly combined, spoon into a greased and lined 2 lb/900g loaf tin. Bake in centre of oven.
5. When cool, loaf can be iced if desired.
6. Cover top of cake with a thin coating of apricot jam and fondant or glacé icing (see Apple and Walnut Cake on page 218).
7. Decorate with chopped apricots and cherries.
8. May be eaten as a cake or sliced and buttered.