Apple Cake with Hot Caramel Sauce
Pre-heat oven to: 180°C/350°F/Gas 4
Time in oven: 50-60 minutes
14 oz/400g granulated sugar
8 fl oz/250ml vegetable oil
10 oz/275g S.R. flour
2 large cooking apples, diced
4 oz/110g chopped walnuts
¾ tsp cinnamon
Hot Caramel Sauce:
6 oz/175g light brown sugar
4 oz/110g butter
1 tsp vanilla essence
4 fl oz/125ml evaporated milk
1. Combine cake ingredients in a large bowl and mix well.
2. Pour into a greased 9″ x 13″/23cm x 32.5cm oven-proof dish and bake in oven.
3. Make caramel sauce by melting butter with brown sugar in a sauce pan over medium heat. Bring to the boil and stir constantly with a hand whisk.
4. Remove from heat and add vanilla essence and evaporated milk. Whisk until well blended.
5. When cake is cooked, prick warm cake with skewer and pour sauce over letting it soak into the cake.