Almond Feather Cake
8 oz (225g) butter
8 oz (225g) caster sugar
a few drops almond essence
4 large eggs, beaten
5 oz (150g) S. R. flour
3 oz (75g) ground almonds
1. Cream butter and sugar until pale and fluffy and add essence.
2. Beat in eggs gradually with a little flour.
3. Fold in sifted flour and ground almonds.
4. Spoon mixture into a greased and floured 8″ square tin.
5. Bake in a pre-heated oven 180°C/350°F/Gas 4 for 1 hour.
Note: Top may be brushed with milk and sprinkled with caster sugar before going into oven, or covered with a thin layer of glacé icing when cold.
Anna Sutherland, C.W.I., Sydney